The Grand Hotel was built between 1926 and 1927 it was originally named the Spriggens Hotel after its well-known Wanganui owner. In the 1930’s the Hotel changed its name to the current name The Grand Hotel. Originally the hotel had shared bathrooms and communal lounges on each floor. The Main building remained essentially unchanged until the 1970s when the rooms were ensuited. In order to maintain the 50+ rooms a three storey block known as the “Wing” was also built.
Today this historic Hotel which has retained many of the original period features from the 1920’s offers 55 ensuited rooms with Free View flat screen T. Vs and tea and coffee making facilities in varying styles from standard rooms to family rooms and suites.
The Grand Hotel attracts a diverse range of visitors Family groups, Sporting teams, Tour groups Corporates And leisure Travellers. Centrally located in downtown Wanganui the hotel is perfectly located within easy walking distance of most of the cities attractions